Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday at the Cabin

Today was a beautiful fall day. The colors have been extraordinary this year. The drive up the canyon, alongside the Poudre River, was restful but the river was the lowest I've ever seen. There are black muck beaches (from the forest fire debris), but the water looked clear this time. There were old RVs heading into the mountains, which can only mean that it's deer season in Colorado.

Some of our cabin neighbors have done some repair work on our road, which I very much appreciate, but our own area is still a mess. We took ten filled sandbags, at fifty pounds each, and forty empty sandbags to fill with the grit packed around the cabin. Steve used a combination of sandbags and plywood to protect the main door, and covered up the one window that could break if there's another flash flood. We put sandbags in a couple of areas to divert the water away from the cabin, then called it a day.

I have submissions from the writing group to critique and will be having my own pages critiqued as well. I felt like I'd been to fight club after my last submission so I'm not looking forward to the experience this time. Even so, the group is one of the things I enjoy. It's diverse and we have some interesting talent attending these days. Makes it all worth while.


No comments:

Post a Comment