Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bookstores

The squirrels are frantically gathering food for winter, and putting on extra weight at the same time. I have a similar compulsion but I gather reading material. Books. Amazingly, the more I read, the more weight I gain. One of my sisters is visiting and she also loves reading. We've been to the wonderful, chaotic Black & Read Bookstore in Arvada, then went to the equally wonderful, but orderly, Boulder Book Store today. Both are independents.

By going through the shelves and boxes of books in the Black & Read, I found Mambo Hips and Make Believe by Wanda Coleman. I've never heard of her but she is considered "The Unofficial Poet Laureate of Los Angeles" and was a finalist for the position of California Poet Laureate. You have to go to the used bookstores to find the unusual books.

I'm loving Wanda Coleman's novel and will read her poetry soon. Check her out at:

<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/wanda-coleman>


No comments:

Post a Comment