Saturday, October 27, 2012

Rumi

Rumi was a Persian poet who lived from 1207 until 1273, and is widely read in translation today. I've heard of him but never looked into his story.

I was in a thrift store and found a copy of The Essential Rumi. I wasn't terribly interested but opened the book to have a look around. The first thing I saw was a poem called The Three Fish. Within the poem  was the stanza:

      "A certain man used to say the wrong prayer
      for the wrong hole. He'd say the nose-prayer
      when he splashed his behind. Can the odor of heaven
      come from our rumps? Don't be humble with fools.
      Don't take pride into the presence of a master."

So I bought the book.

When you read the stanza before this one, it makes sense in context and is not as humorous. But this is how I find out about new things in life. A twig leads to a branch. The branch connects to the trunk but there are many large and small branches to explore along the way. Then there's the bark to think about and the leaves. This could turn into metaphor hell before I get down to the roots....And then there's the water and sunshine to consider, so this could evolve into some kind of connectedness rant.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment