Friday, October 12, 2012

Devilish Time of Year

The subject of Satan has come up in the writing group I attend. These references are usually humorous but, to my surprise, are sometimes quite serious. It's been a long time since I've met someone who believes in the literal existence of the devil, but now I have.

"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight."
-C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

I describe my spiritual beliefs as being cafeteria style. A dab of zen, a big helping of Catholic architecture to put me in the mood, some gospel music, reincarnation-why not?, ....you get the picture. I'm covering my bases and don't expect it to matter one bit when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I don't believe in the devil, but I have no trouble believing in the existence of evil.

"We have met the enemy and he is us."
Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Peace.





2 comments:

  1. I have always liked this Joni Mitchell lyric: "I'm frightened by the devil/And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The devilish types are always so charismatic. Love the lyrics of Joni Mitchell. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete