Friday, August 30, 2013

Kayaking the San Andreas Fault

The San Andreas Fault in California is 810 miles long, stretching from way down south, terminating in what is referred to as the "Mendocino Triple Junction" where three tectonic plates come together. Part of the fault is under the water of Tomales Bay north of San Francisco. Tomales Bay, 15 miles long and approximately 1 mile wide, separates the Pt. Reyes Peninsula from the mainland and opens into Bodega Bay. This inlet of the Pacific Ocean is perfect for kayaking.

I thought I would kayak 5 or 6 times while staying in the town of Pt. Reyes Station but didn't get out onto the water until the very last day. A bug that was circulating felled Steve first then knocked me off my feet for 24 hours. I wasn't feeling too great but I jumped at the chance to try the water before heading back to Colorado.

It was fantastic out there. The weather was perfect and there were very few other crafts on the water. Steve and S.S. were in the canoe, and my sister was in her new kayak. Seals would surface all around us but never got too close. The wind came up, as it seemed to do every afternoon, but we spent at least an hour and a half on the water. I know I have to go back and spend more time kayaking that famous fault. Maybe I'll be kayaking the San Andreas Fault when the tectonic plates slip. The "Big One" is coming as surely as the wind blows. There are worse ways to go.






No comments:

Post a Comment