Friday, August 2, 2013

The Grand Danger of Flash Floods

I saw a flash flood once while I was in Utah. I was on my way to Moab with a friend, but stopped off to see the pictographs at Big Thompson Springs. A flood came down the dry wash you have to cross to get to the rock art, just ahead of our arrival. This friend got really mad at me for refusing to drive through the water in my Jeep Cherokee. The water began spreading out across the desert on both sides of the dirt road so I made an executive (and reasonable) decision to turn around and get out of there. Despite my traveling companion's pouting, which was a foreshadowing of her attitude for the rest of the trip, the flash flood ranks up there as one of the top ten things I've ever seen in the great outdoors.  I'll never forget the beauty, nor the amount of water flowing on a sunny day underneath a cloudless sky.

Here's a video of another flash flood someone just sent to me:


No comments:

Post a Comment