Saturday, August 17, 2013

Waldo's Ranch

I still don't know who Waldo was, but this house was once part of a large and prominent dairy in Pt. Reyes Station.  The pastures have now been restored back into wetlands, and the bird and deer population is impressive. I've been watching a couple of white-tailed kites hunting around the marsh and mudflats for quite a while this morning.

The great egrets are so tall that I can see them without my binoculars. The bird song is continuous and full of variety. This is a perfect August morning. And it doesn't hurt that Steve is clanking around the kitchen making peach cobbler.

The large yard has a deep border of lavender. There is a constant hum and drone around my chair as the bees visit the flowers. I can't describe how wonderful it smells here. The air is so clean on the coast.

So this is day one of a vacation we've dreamed about for years. I've written, in the past, that the anticipation is often the best part of a trip but, this time, the location exceeds my imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment