Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Someone Who Thinks About Writing

I'm reading Verlyn Klinkenborg's new book titled " Several Short Sentences About Writing", and decided to write a short post about it to see what it's like to try to post from my phone. 

First, I have big peasant fingers that can't seem to get used to the little keyboard.

Secondly, it's an entire book of short sentences,about writing, most of which are worthy of stopping to think about.

I think I could manage a short post occasionally if there wasn't a three-year- old ten feet away holding both a garden hose (turned on) and a golf club (plastic).

In closing, I highly recommend this book to writers who are sick of the ridiculous and prolific "rules" for succeeding as a writer. We need to stiffen our backbones and claim the same authority in our writing as what I witness in the artistic community at large. Sure, there's conformity to the current styles even in painting and such. Go to the sculpture festival in Loveland to see what is the trend in home decor. Last time I went, it was Indian maidens with European faces.

This would be a great book for a writing discussion group.

Enough rambling. The cicadas and the warm sun are making me drowsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment