Saturday, October 6, 2012

Snowflakes Make Me Want to Howl


We had our first snow yesterday. It wasn’t much but it put me in the mood to prepare for winter. After a long, unusually hot summer I thought I was looking forward to some cold weather, but it turns out I’m still not in the mood.

Part of this morning was set aside for purchasing snow tires for my car. There is no pleasure in paying for something like this, but I’m sure going to feel better on the freeway when I have to drive in Colorado’s insane traffic. When the money aquifer refills, my car needs a brake job, then a new battery. Lots of money but still cheaper than car payments.

Then I took part in the Colorado tradition of mobbing the grocery store at the first sign of a snowflake. I was lazy this week about shopping so I needed a lot of stuff. I should have waited until there was a Broncos game on television. The stores are almost empty then.

 I’ve decided to reread “Howl” by Alan Ginsberg and ordered a cheap copy through Amazon. It’ll arrive on Tuesday. I love to have something to look forward to. That makes me the donkey chasing the carrot dangling from a stick. Luckily, I respect donkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment