Saturday, January 5, 2013

Van Gogh

My daughter and I attended the Van Gogh exhibition at the Denver Art Museum today. We were in the first group to enter so the crowd was somewhat bearable. It was an impressive collection of Van Gogh's work, loaned to DAM from 60 private and public collections. The theme was his evolution as an artist.

I had no idea his painting career was so short. Approximately ten years for such an amazing body of work.

The past month has been rich with artistic manna. (Wow. Manna was a technically correct word that just does not fit into this post. When I was growing up, I bought Manna Pro feed for my horse. I haven't thought about that in a long time. But I digress. I can see a lot of that happening in my future.)

Back to artistic inspiration (a better word choice). I received some lovely books for Christmas, including a good book of photography with interesting work by an assortment of photographers. One book on Norse Mythology has some classic art work in it that I remember from when my children were young. There is the artistic side of reading and poetry that is always a part of my life, and now this excellent art exhibit. Going to the art museum to see any of the work is an excellent way to have what Julia Cameron would call an Artist Date. It's a surefire way to engage the right side of your brain. The only thing better than a trip to the art museum would be to have coffee with your writer friends at the art museum. Sadly, the coffee cart near the bridge is gone and has been replaced with a children's play area.





2 comments:

  1. The Van Gogh exhibit sounds great! Last month I got to see a Winslow Homer exhibit at the Portland Museum of Art. It's so interesting thinking about artistic expression similarities/differences between painting and writing. Love your sunflower photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see Winslow Homer someplace besides in a book. I worship books, but it's a different experience seeing the work as it was intended to be seen. I remember seeing The Medusa in Florence once. I was shocked because the painting was so small, but the statue of David was unforgettable.

      We had a postponed version of our writing group holiday party yesterday. Wish you could have been here.

      Delete