Friday, January 18, 2013

Books and Mind Travel

Our bookcases always seem to elicit a response from visitors, particularly non-readers. We don't have books because we want to seem uppity and pretentious, but because they are such good company.  I could never be bored with so much reading material, containing such a variety of subjects. And it's all right here in my home. And not all books contain stories. I can look at great paintings I'll never see in person. There is medical information, and books full of words to sustain me spiritually. Poetry and books to enhance my appreciation of said poetry. Books about crows, horses, writing, and quite a few about how to manage the blasted computer. If I can't get out into nature, I can wander somewhere desolate, full of natural wonders, as I sit and drink my coffee.

"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves. From each of them goes out its own voice, as inaudible as the streams of sound conveyed day and night by electric waves beyond the range of our physical hearing; and just as the touch of a button on our set will fill the room with music, so by taking down one of these volumes and opening it, one can call into range the far distant voice in time and space, and hear it speaking to us, mind to mind, heart to heart."

Written by Gilbert Highet


5 comments:

  1. She failed to mention the philosophy, history, mathematics, and travel books. Atlases and music (theory and songs) are well presented. And many over 70 years old by authors of great skill long forgotten. Aside from providing a thermal mass to keep us warm in the cold months, they are reminders of how much I don't know (an odd thing to find comforting.....).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous...you are old. Better start stocking up on magnifying glasses to read all those books in your older age.

      Delete
    2. You seem to be pretty intimately acquainted with those bookshelves. Have an easy access to the house?

      Delete
  2. Great post! We also have some many books (and magazines!) in ever-multiplying bookcases, most of which I haven't read yet. My dream is to retire early and read every single word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good blizzard is appreciated for some valuable reading time, too. Viva bookie-people!

      Delete