Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Houseguests and Fish: I Like Both

One thing I like about having a houseguest is the way they disrupt my routine, forcing me to do things differently. As I age, I find myself getting too comfortable with routines, and even my expectations have become almost mechanical. I don't expect to drive up into the mountains on a typical weekend because I know I'll hate the traffic, and the long day will wear me out. But I'll do it if I have a guest to entertain. I'll have a great time showing off our beautiful mountains and plains, and I'll cherish the photos and the memories of our time together. Moreover, I'll spend the day wondering why I don't do this more often, with our without a visitor.

I'm going to add "Encourage people to visit" to my list of things to do (and what not to do) when I'm old. Older. Really old. And I really do have a list.


No comments:

Post a Comment