Monday, January 14, 2013

A Frigid January Morning

The television news is continuing to report on the flu epidemic. They mentioned the recommendation that children sing a song while washing their hands to make sure they wash long enough to kill the germs. I was at the Denver Art Museum a couple of weeks ago and the sink sang the Happy Birthday song at me when I turned the water on. I wish my sink at home would sing to me, especially the kitchen sink where I spend a lot of my time.

Today is the third morning in a row with below zero temperatures. Makes me more sympathetic to the people who live in North Dakota. The Siberian Express is making all of this healthy cold air possible. The snow that fell last night is called Pixie Dust snow because it's extremely fine. I like it because you can sweep it with a broom, as opposed to shoveling.

Homeless shelters broke attendance records last night. This is the sort of temperature that can kill.

#

Boulder had a march last night for a recently murdered elk. The bull elk was a regular visitor in the Mapleton Hill neighborhood, but he was shot by a police officer on New Year's Eve, just before midnight. Boulder is famous for creating moral outrage over a prairie dog's relocation, but this was a big, beautiful animal who was well-known in the area.

A candlelight vigil followed with approximately 200 people singing Amazing Grace and We Will Overcome. (How come they didn't sing Born Free?) The march on Pearl Street was last night. People walked in silence while their cell phones played a recording of elk bugling. (who the hell thought of that?)

The police officers get the What the Hell Were You Thinking? award. The men involved have been suspended. An off-duty officer, who happens to own a taxidermy business, came right away and took away the elk's body. I can't wait to see what the consequences will be for this bit of manly-man tomfoolery.

I don't fault anyone for being upset about this senseless shooting, but I wish people would get just as outraged when a person is murdered.


Wild turkeys. Please don't tell the police.

2 comments:

  1. Agree 100 percent. Bolderites charge issues big and small with equal measure of passion...I was new to Boulder when prairie dogs were a huge issue. Elementary school children en mass, led by their teaches, flooded the streets of Boulder at 6 in the morning, causing traffic delays,chanting Honk if you care, or something to that effect. They carried Free Prairie Dogs signs. Not knowing any better (never put the cute rodents and their names together until then) I was under impression that I witness a demonstration of support for some displaced Indian tribe, fighting for survival... RIP, elk, wherever elks find their peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Denver Post once described Boulder as "the little town nestled between the mountains and reality".

      Delete