Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Wind Blew Us Home

We woke up at 4:00 this morning and hit the road at 5:00. The road looked good at first but we were soon hit by blizzard conditions. The wind was still gusting 50+ MPH and the roadsigns were impossible to read because the snow was sticking to them. We never drove through anything Steve couldn't handle, but I was always scared because I kept wondering what next? After we descended to a  lower elevation, I could see stars to the south of us. The sun was coming up as we closed in on Laramie.

We needed to gas up the truck and to eat breakfast so we took the main exit in Laramie. Actually we had no choice since the interstate was closed to the east. There were hundreds upon hundreds of tractor trailers lined up along the freeway. Off ramps and on ramps were full of truckers waiting for the road to open. Hotel parking lots were crammed-packed. A lot of the cars were encrusted with ice. After eating breakfast, we decided to take 287 down toward Ft. Collins. There was plenty of wind and some ice on the road but the sun came out and the views were great.

The wind is still blowing hard and cold here in Longmont, but the sun is out and flowers are starting to bloom. I'm doing a lot of laundry and will make my favorite easy dinner (chicken) tonight. The trip was almost 3,000 miles total. All is well on the home front.

I'll try to load my photos onto the computer tomorrow. I know I have a lot of deleting to do. 

2 comments: