Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Ospreys in Longmont

I went to have coffee with three friends yesterday. We lamented, we learned, and we discussed the possibility of having a writing retreat of sorts up at the cabin.

Tired and hungry, I bought a sandwich on the way home and headed over the fairgrounds to park next to Cattail Pond. I went there last week to see if I could watch the nesting ospreys but only saw one goose. Not exactly a rare sighting around here. This time I saw both of the ospreys, and watched one hunting for quite a while. Finally it came back to the nest with a large snake dangling from its beak. I initially felt bad for the snake but, of course, this was good news for the birds. It was a good place to eat a sandwich.

I came home and looked up the live cam that faces their nest.  There is one chick so far, and I learned that it is very rare for an osprey to eat a snake. I'm sure last year's flooding has done a lot of damage to their hunting grounds.


The pole in the distance is where the nesting platform is.












No comments:

Post a Comment