Friday, April 18, 2014

The Ogallala Road: A New Memoir

The Ogallala Road by local author Julene Bair is my latest discovery. It amazes me how many extraordinary writers are out there that I have yet to read.  Quite a while ago, I read a short essay by Bair in an anthology titled: Leaning Into the Wind, but I had no idea she'd become such an accomplished writer.

After doing some heavy-duty babysitting this week, I was jogging between the kitchen, where I was making dinner, and my computer, where I was catching up on general communication. I reread the email from the Longmont Library and was surprised that a reading I thought I missed out on, was actually happening that evening. We quickly ate dinner and headed to the library.

The title alone would be guaranteed to catch my attention. I wrote a paper on the Ogallala Aquifer while I was going to Metro State in Denver. It's horrifying and fascinating watching the damage being done to this ancient aquifer. It's like watching an environmental train wreck. In the book, The Ogallala Road, is the story of a family farm in Kansas, the Ogallala Aquifer, and a woman's life, and all are interwoven.

If you'd enjoy reading some well-written nonfiction, I recommend Julene Bair's work, and The Ogallala Road in particular.



Nature as replica, but you can't fake water.

No comments:

Post a Comment