Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Energizing the Tuesday Fiction Writers

Our writing group, Tuesday Fiction Writers, has been around for quite a while. Probably more than 12 years, but its membership is dropping. We used to be promoted in the library's print magazine. Then budget cuts occurred and our listing is now pretty hard to find on the library's website. When I finally got off my rosy cheeks and looked at the listings, I discovered the location was incorrect and, sometimes even the days and times were wrong. This has probably been going on for a long time. I found someone at the BPL who would take the time to correct the information, so that's finally done, but now what?

We need approximately  10 to 14 members to insure that writers who are having their work critiqued can get a good mix of comments. For years our problem was having too many members. Getting 18 to 23 people through 30 pages of writing in slightly more than 2 hours was almost impossible, so I didn't mind when the number of attendees was around 8 as long as it was 8 people who knew how to critique.

At first I put up notices on bulletin boards, but I don't get to Boulder too often these days. Tuesday Fiction Writers meets in Boulder so it's expected that most members will be from the immediate area. Then I got the bright idea to pay some money to list the group on a "meet up" website. Today is the first day of the listing and I've gotten 8 inquiries so far. I'm wondering if I've done a good thing or a thing that's going to backfire on me. I won't know until the next meeting on May 13th.

I want the Tuesday Fiction Writers to survive but at what amount of effort on my part? A librarian has approached us about someday taking over the group, but I fear it would lose its ability to be uncensored and a little bit wild.



No comments:

Post a Comment