Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's Raining in Longmont

I went outside this afternoon and listened to the thunderstorm to the south of Longmont. It's been a long time since a roll of thunder shook the windowpanes. Now, this evening, it's raining steadily.

Unfortunately, we have two sick people in the house as of tonight. (not me) I'm still not over the psychic trauma of my last illness. In the past, I've gone years without any colds or flu. so this last winter has been a humbling experience.

We're gearing up to begin the rescue mission up at the cabin. The cabin is still half buried in rock and hardened mud (which is different than plain dirt in my mind). The plan is to take a large piece of equipment (resembling a small backhoe) that requires coordination and dexterity, and use it to move the dirt and rocks around. Drainage needs to be created to keep the rocks and mud from assaulting the cabin every time it rains for the next five years. There will be unforeseen complications that no one has considered about the project, there always is, but I hope there won't be any danger involved. At best, the guys will have fun with the challenge of reshaping a large piece of nature.

I appeared in court for my jury summons on Monday. It is a civil trial that should last seven days. Luckily civil trials only require 7 jurors, improving the odds of being excused. After five hours, the last of the rigmarole was over and I was set free. When I looked at the 7 people chosen, 6 women and 1 man, I could not even guess why they settled on those particular ones. It's all a crap shoot at best, I suppose. There is a part of the process when you have to answer six questions about yourself. The questions have been conveniently written on a large piece of paper and set in front of the jury box. People chose the most inane things to tell about themselves. There was a lot of the typical Boulder pissing contest  going on. One woman, a textile artist and potter, managed to work in her husband's equally brilliant career as an artist and how perfectly they collaborated  since they were soul mates. A young Russell Brand look-alike tried to raise his voice against corporate America and the system, and ended up so inarticulate that he was humiliated by his own words. The court was extremely kind to him in return.

Time to put one sick little girl to bed. She has perked up considerably since this morning so I'm hopeful tomorrow will be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment