Friday, May 3, 2013

Finally Friday in Train Town

Friday has finally crawled into place. There is abundant sunshine, the lawn is green and lush in our front yard, leaves are brightening up all the shrubs and trees, and water is running off of the porch roof as the last of the snow sublimates. All the potential for a lovely day is outside my window.

I took my granddaughter to the kiddie-gulag this morning. The school-age children were lining up to board the van that transports them to their respective elementary schools. The driver told the first little boy, about eight years old, to step back from the door so I could leave. The child was staring intently at my face as I opened the door. That's when I saw him making an obscene gesture with his middle finger in my direction. (strategically hidden from the driver) I smiled at him and didn't react, but I was shocked by his apparent anger. Driving home, I kept thinking about what his life must be like to make him so hostile at such a young age.

Granddaughter only has a month left at this daycare before moving to an excellent facility her mother found. We knew after a few days that this preschool wasn't going to work out, but I believe her classroom is safe and that kind people work there, so she has continued to attend for three mornings a week. She gets to play with other children, and hasn't complained about anything except the food. Even a kiddie-gulag, when safe,  is better than staying with a grandma who gets burned-out with the five day a week schedule.


We live in Train Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment