Friday, February 22, 2013

Show and Tell

If you made a list of adjectives to describe yourself while, at the same time, someone who is honest and not afraid of you made out their own list of adjectives about you, I don't think they'd be the same. Hopefully, there'd be some overlap of good adjectives, and not ones like crack whore or abusive parent.

There's what I show the world about myself, then there's what I choose to tell you. Am I an unreliable narrator? Sure. Who isn't? But some attributes cannot be hidden. I'm 60, wear glasses, and my hair is going grey. I look more like my father as I age, but I act more like my mother. (yes, I find both traits alarming)  My friends are tired of hearing me whine about my facial expression. The only reason I'd have a face lift is so that, when I smile, I'd actually look like I'm smiling, dammit! I can't change my green eyes or my wrinkles. All are fixed on my person.

But what kind of image are you trying to cultivate? Your choice of a car can be revealing, but not as much as your clothing and hairstyle. Even the absence of a car can score sanctimonious bragging rights. We're not supposed to judge others by their appearance, but how many factors do you take into account when choosing who to sit next to on the bus? (if you'll even stoop to riding public transportation) How many piercings and tattoos does it take to become your personal definition, and why? Have you split your tongue so it looks like a snake's? Have you had a boob job so large you should build a scaffold underneath? Did you marry a favorite pet just to upset your Republican parents? No? Then you can still stay on the island. Welcome to the broad category of normal.

Your past can enhance your persona or work against you. If you're older, what do you choose to reveal and to whom? This doesn't apply to young sprouts who haven't even got the seed pods off their heads yet. But, as an older person, I have a past. I love it because I was naughty, I survived my naughtiness, and because the statute of limitations, both legal and social, have expired. I've been mostly good for a long time now and feel like I've had the best of both worlds.

What do you choose to talk or write about? Politics? Saving the earth by not using paper towels and bumming rides from friends? The latest cat video that's gone viral? Your expression of your thoughts is possibly the most authentic revelation you can send out about yourself. If you dare, that is. 

What do you hide about yourself? What adjectives would pop up after a few drinks? We all have our dark side. Make a resolution to add a couple of new adjectives this year. Try charitable, healthy, or well read.
At some level, we're all squirrels.

1 comment:

  1. You have very pretty eyes, green and kind of go up at the corners. Too bad you hide them so much from the world, but often it is better to see than have pretty eyes...

    ReplyDelete