Friday, February 1, 2013

First Friday of February

February is my most-dreaded month but, so far, so good. Winter usually slogs along, requiring much endurance on my part, but the winter of 2012-2013 has gone renegade in a sunny, pleasant sort of way. It's hard to complain when it's so beautiful outside. I hate driving on the freeways during a snowstorm, but I've had to do very little of that. So, what do I have to complain about? I'll tell you. The lack of moisture in any form. After last year's horrific fire season, we really don't want to face another one with the potential to be every bit as bad. The only good thing to come out of the forest fires was the demise of some of the beetles that are adding to our troubles in the West.

I had to drive back to Longmont from Englewood at the peak of rush hour yesterday. I got in my car and realized I couldn't face crawling through Denver on I-25. I cut over to Federal Blvd. and drove north all the way to 144th, where I got back on I-25. Sounds crazy but it wasn't such a bad drive. Federal is an entertaining stretch of road. I saw at least 20 restaurants I'd like to try someday. And I always enjoy the beautiful Victorian houses, and other lovely old buildings, that are north of the stadium. The graffiti problem is the worst I've ever seen in Denver. I don't remember it being that bad when I lived in the area. Crossing 36, I moved into suburbia with its new grocery stores, greenbelts, and coffee places. By then it was dark and I was less enamored with driving someplace different.

One thing I hate is routine, so the drive did me some good. I arrived home only 20 minutes later than usual, and that included stopping for gas. It's kind of pathetic that Federal was a nice change of pace. I really need to go on a long road trip, and soon.


Look how clear that pavement is.

No comments:

Post a Comment