Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Predilection


I almost titled this post  "Confession”, but now I’m annoyed for thinking of my reading preferences that way. Nobody raises an expensively-shaped eyebrow if you mention you’re reading fiction, history, mystery, The Economist, or whatever, but I rarely bring up the self-actualization, creativity, or spiritual books I like to read. I don’t want to be thought of as odd, but that ship sailed a long time ago so why do I conceal these books from others? In the interest of self-actualization, I’m giving this some thought.

These books sometimes give me a framework to hang my thoughts on. Thinking deeply comes naturally to some people. Not me. And I love the stories that are woven into these types of books. The testimonial-type inclusion is all you’ll find, for obvious reasons. Therapists write a lot for the self-help crowd and have a treasure trove of stories to choose from.

I’ve been reading a book with the seductive title, Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: ReclaimYour True Nature to Create the Life You Want. (By Martha Beck but, thankfully, not the Martha Beck who is a serial killer) Irritatingly long title. Do I believe I’m in a “Wild New World”? Sadly, no. Do I want to reclaim my true nature? I gave that idea some serious thought that took me right back to my misspent youth. I decided to keep the lid on my true nature for now. I’ll spare my children and save it for the rest home.

Disturbing as it is, I’m finding many passages to underline in Beck’s book and I use those little sticky tabs so I can locate certain sentences again. The woman is intelligent and educated with a Ph.D from Harvard and credentials galore.  The problem is that I’m in the middle of the book and I can’t help but notice the regular inclusion of African animals. They juice up the text as she has spiritual connections with the most dangerous of beasts. There are the usual meaningful dreams and third party experiences that are life-changing and profound.  These are probably the people who saw the book’s title and said, “Hell yes, I live in a wild new world, and you’re damn straight I want to reclaim my true nature to create the life I want!” That would be the biggest difference between them and me. That, and the money for therapy or an expensive trip to Africa.

I like the life I have. And I like new ways of looking at things. I’ll keep buying my social psychology and other books dealing with the secluded parts of our nature. I'm going get a grip and own my reading preferences from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment