Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Typical Day

I woke up early and helped carry work equipment up to Steve's office, then we had coffee at Luna Cafe. That was probably the only time I'll see him today. After my dental appointment, I went out to visit my much-ignored horse, Cooper. He was glad to get out to run around the arena. I let him eat some grass and groomed him. The ranch is very near the mountains as they rise above the Boulder Valley. Old cottonwoods crowd around the barn, old ranch house, and arenas. It's so peaceful there and it was hot in the sun. I need the Vitamin D these days. I stayed until the sky clouded up and threatened to rain.

I returned home and finished my critiques for tonight's writing group. I've been in the group for years and hate to lose the good writers and the people I like spending time with, but our writers come and go. There's a tight core that stays with the group but the lifeblood of a writing group is fresh writing.

Michael Chabon's book arrived right on schedule. It's a lovely hardback and I admit it's an indulgence. I admire the cover every time I walk by but I'm not starting to read until I can give it my full attention.

I'm still reading the Hemingway biography, Hemingway's Boat. I would have finished it long ago if reading it at bedtime didn't give me weird dreams. He wasn't a happy man and the writing puts me right into his life.

Now I have to rush around to get ready to drive to Boulder. At least I posted something. I think I'm making progress on making writing a priority in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment