Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Quotes: Succinct and Otherwise

I'm trying to get in a writerly mood by reading about other people who actually write and have the writing life that I so desire. Here are some of the quotes that work for me:


  • "I always write from my own experiences whether I've had them or not." Ron Carlson
  • While writing about introducing the major problems in a work of long fiction: "I have come to call these flaming chainsaws. Your success as a storyteller has to do with your ability to juggle them. Every time the flaming chainsaws pass through your hands, they gain speed, become more perilous, until at last they are extinguished." Benjamin Percy
  • "It is a creative person's individuality that defines him." Eric Maisel
  • "By middle life, most of us are accomplished fugitives from ourselves." John Gardner    (not really applicable, but I love the quote and John Gardner is a great writer)
  • "The issues around creativity versus caretaking have long polarized women against each other. We each need to live by our own truths and values." Gail McMeekin
Quotes are snippets of wisdom in a world full of sound bites, and in a culture that encourages a short attention span. One way I tame my fragmented thought process is my spending the day outside. (something I used to do a lot) Go for a hike of several hours duration and I think you'll find that you're thinking about things in a new way. A long walk will clear out the cobwebs and let in the oxygen. You can quote me on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment