Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Stuck in a Deep Freeze

I got a respite from our unusually frigid weather by going to Seattle for the weekend.  It was mostly overcast there but the hazards were from road construction instead of Colorado's ice and snow. When I made my reservations a while back, I wasn't thinking about the Superbowl. The airports were both packed with people in transit. Many Broncos fans were in evidence at DIA on Friday but I didn't see any blue and orange jerseys on my way home.

After a very enjoyable weekend with family in Seattle, I came home to a house that had undergone a huge transition in my absence. My daughter and her family found a lovely apartment here in Longmont and began moving out then in last Saturday in the snow. It has been very strange to wake up to a quiet, almost solemn, house without E's high energy ricocheting around the rooms. I came home on Monday in the late afternoon and began babysitting our 2-month old grandson the following morning.

The weather has been in a freeze-thaw cycle, more common in Minnesota than in Colorado. Tuesday was terribly cold with icy roads. Today, Wednesday, is even colder, but the main roads are good. The wind chill was between -16 and -24 this morning. The high today might be six, but it stands at 2 degrees right now.  We're short one car on top of the new living arrangements and additional babysitting duties. So this is turning out to be a crazy week.

I have a baby next to me, a 3-year-old doing yoga on the other side, Elmo telling a story on the CD player, my email is down, and I am going to do this all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment