Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Creeping Crud Strikes Again

My daughter was the first to come down with the flu. A trip to the doctor confirmed that, despite the flu shot, she had become sick. The good news is that she would have been much, much sicker and for longer, if she hadn't had the preventative shot. Then her daughter got sick with the same symptoms, and she also had been inoculated.

On Monday, I thought I just hadn't slept well the night before, but now I have the same creeping crud. I'm babysitting my granddaughter, if you can call lying on the couch while watching a succession of Tinkerbell movies babysitting.  I can't watch my little 3-month old grandson either, so the inconvenience of the illness spreads out like the ripples in a little plastic cup of Nyquil.

The weather has been sunny and beautiful, if you don't count the strong winds blasting through Colorado lately. I tottered out into the yard yesterday, just long enough to fill the bird feeder and the bird bath. Then I came inside and recovered from the exertion for two hours.

On the plus side, I can read some of the time, and I finished reading a friend's manuscript that  I volunteered to read as a first reader. It is a very good story, and a true one, so I may have stimulated a few brain cells while feeling like a truck just ran over me. (a truck as opposed to a Prius...big difference)

We watched the movie All is Lost last night. It was an excellent movie that totally confirmed my belief that it's madness to sail across the ocean, particularly all alone. Still, there was great beauty to balance out the hours of terror.

To make matters worse, I have a submission due for my writing group on Friday. I have pages written but, at this exact moment, I'd call them the Pages of Shame.

So, while you're out there in the world having a pretty good day, I'll be in my sunroom coughing and hacking and blowing my nose. You're the lucky one, so celebrate by warming your face in the sunshine, have a latte and a muffin, and think of me.

Cheers.

A display of toothbrushes. Be sure to floss, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment