Monday, March 18, 2013

Living the Good Life in Longmont

It's a Monday morning and all is well in the blue house. It's going to be a nice day with the exception of air quality from our first big fire that has been burning for several days. I always think I'm sick but it turns out the smokey air is the culprit.

Today will be a writing day, followed by some socializing over coffee, and maybe followed by a visit to the ranch. Cooper, my horse, is in need of some grooming, but it's a dirty, smelly experience for the person trying to clean him up, and is best done before socializing. I plan to visit some boarding stables closer to Longmont in April. It would be great to have him nearer to the house. I'm looking for a place that can provide a shelter with a paddock, evening hours, an indoor arena, tack room, bathroom, and a view would be nice. The ranch in Boulder is about as pretty as it can get in the foothills, but has none of the modern conveniences. The road is a horrible washboard and the bathroom at the trailhead, which used to be clean and decent, is now disgusting. As busy as the open space around the ranch is, I'm surprised Boulder County Open Space doesn't take better care of things.

We're gearing up to get our resident granddaughter into preschool for at least three mornings a week. I need and want to finish the rewrite on my book.

A couple of years ago, I sent a story to the literary magazine, Glimmer Train. I was a "finalist" but was disappointed I wasn't in the top 25 list. I just read this on the Glimmer Train website: "Stories that don't make the top-25 list, but are in the top 5% of entries, earn Honorable Mention and will be marked "finalist." You should mention that in cover letters as you send the piece back out into the world. (Either "finalist" or "Honorable mention" will be accurate.) Nice work!" It cheered me up to know my story was in the top 5%.


It's a good day to be a Corbie-Crow!


No comments:

Post a Comment