Thursday, November 15, 2012

Forced to Take My Own Advice

I was having a productive day, then I met a friend for a well-deserved coffee break. We were having a nice conversation that turned to the subject of blogs. I pulled out my iPad so she could look up some blogs written by our mutual friends. Unfamiliar with the iPad, she was trying to figure something out when I reached across the table to "help" her. Suddenly, half of my own blog was in Arabic. We couldn't find the language setting, so I tried again once I was back home. I spent a lot of time trying to solve the problem but, obviously, couldn't read the headers to fix the problem. I was in a foul mood. Worse than foul. I was in a rat-smacking pissed-off cloud of frustration. I couldn't leave it alone and, miraculously, finally found the right thing to click and, voila!, I restored the English language. Only took two hours and almost gave me a stroke. I had to go outside and clean the porch to calm myself down. That's how I roll when it comes to learning something new.

Wait! I think I hear someone saying, "You fixed it by accident. How is that learning anything?"

I disagree. For one thing, I learned not to try to read an iPad upside down. And I learned not to give up.
 
Think of the "Infinite Monkey Theorem". Someone, somewhere, seems to believe that if you let a monkey hit the keys on a typewriter for an infinite amount of time, it will eventually write something that's already been written, like the complete works of Shakespeare or the bible.

Scale that theory down and you have a slight probability that, given enough time, and a lot of clicking with a mouse, even I have a chance at fixing a computer problem. Almost brings a tear to my eye.


It's not rocket science.

4 comments:

  1. "Infinite monkey theorem"? Sounds like hogwash. But I guess, given a truly infinite number of attempts, after a couple quintillion repetitions something meaningful could randomly arise from truly meaningless keystrokes. Still sounds far fetched to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the word "infinite" that makes any outlandish idea seem possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The logic hinges on the word 'infinite,' as Becky says, where everything can (and does?) happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proof of Infinite Monkey Theorem:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcSUWP0QNeY

    ReplyDelete