Monday, November 12, 2012

Are You a Writer?

Author Tom Bird was asked, "What is a writer?' at one of his workshops. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I find that people don't want to identify themselves as writers because they're not published. Get over that hang-up about publication people! Here's what Tom Bird answered: "The difference between a writer and someone who wants to be a writer, is that writers write." Good answer, Tom. I've been saying that for years, but I'm not a published writer so no one listens to me. (much)

I learned a new word this morning. Mentation. The definition is "mental activity, thinking" and "the process of using your mind to consider something carefully".  Apparently, it's used more in medical evaluations than for common usage, but I like the sound of it. (The patient may have some diminished mentation because she thinks she a writer but has never been published) I'm going to go right out and do some more mentation this afternoon.


3 comments:

  1. "The difference between a writer and someone who wants to be a writer is that writers write." Very well-stated. It's hard to feel confident calling oneself a writer when the public immediately asks what you've published. I like this a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last month, I was in a bookstore and had asked the guy working there if they had a particular book in stock. As he searched for it, we talked a bit about book-type things, and he asked me if I was a writer. I immediately said yes (yay!), but then quickly started qualifying the statement by jabbering about having a creative writing degree, but having a full time "real" job and trying to do my own writing on the side. So it's interesting the hesitation that often exists in self-identifying as a writer. Although, even by TomBird's definition, I've got some work to do - in terms of actually writing on a more consistent basis. Thanks for this thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely a writer! I always stumble when I come upon the place to write an occupation on our tax forms. I long to put that I'm a writer but always put some other lame thing like homemaker.
    I hope someday I can be a writer on paper in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete