Saturday, October 12, 2013

Winter Breathing Down My Neck

The trees are turning colors and the leaves are piling up on the lawn. I can look at the calendar and know the time to prepare for snow is short, but it takes several icy mornings to actually kick me into gear. My plan was to start getting ready for winter today.

However, a drive in the country is cheaper than a shrink, so first I went for a drive on the Eastern Plains. I needed a beauty fix but mostly I took in the big sky. There were some pretty things but the flood-damaged land was all too apparent.


A nice blue heron near the river


The mighty South Platte River

Once home, I pruned plants and pulled frost-shriveled pumpkin vines and tomato plants out of the ground. Steve took down the white canopy that shades our side yard, forcing me to accept that the summer of 2013 is indeed just a memory. 

It felt good to do some productive work after a week of worrying about my sick cat who turned out to be very sick indeed, but not as sick as I first feared. It will take a weeks and maybe months to get her back to full health but that's a lot better than the alternative.


Winter is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment