Friday, October 25, 2013

Vedauwoo

After being in the hotel room for several hours, I decided to go out to a coffee place for a break. On the way to the truck, I realized I had already had too much caffeine, and decided to go for a drive instead. I wanted to avoid the freeway but ended up taking I-80 east to Vedauwoo, about 17 miles away. It was balmy in Laramie when I left but, as is often the case in the west, an icy wind was blasting when I arrived at the park. It was pleasant there despite being at 8,000 feet, but I wished I had brought my coat instead of my fleece. (a rookie mistake not to take a selection of outerwear) There were two buses of elementary school students to keep me company as I admired the rock formations.

I had hoped to see beavers and moose but only saw some crows.

I thought the name Vedauwoo must derive from one of the Native American languages, but I was sadly mistaken. Turns out that it's a made-up name from a theatre production that was once put on in the canyon there. Further investigation shows that the word is anglicized from the Arapahoe word "bitto'o'wu", meaning, perhaps, earth, or earthborn, or earthborn spirit. Maybelle Land DeKay is the one who appropriated the word for her play.

About the play:  it "...had a cast of nearly 500 including nymphs, sprites, and a lusty elf, Indians, trappers, cowboys, the university dean and president" The was also a dinosaur with one line: "groan"."
(from an article by Roger Ludwig, September 10th, 2011)

The play, produced three times between 1928 and 1931, sounds like a hoot. Maybe someone should revive it for history's sake.


No comments:

Post a Comment