Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Challenge of Reading "House of Leaves"

My daughter-in-residence gave me a copy of House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski today. I was on Amazon.com earlier and consider ordering a copy off of my wish list, so her purchase (in a used bookstore) was fortuitous. The book appears just as daunting as it did the first time I borrowed a copy but never read it. I did what I usually do when facing something that stymies me. I went to Wikipedia. Here's the first thing I read.


Ergodic literature is a term coined by Espen J. Aarseth in his book Cybertext—Perspectives on Ergodic Literature, and is derived from the Greek words ergon, meaning "work", and hodos, meaning "path". Aarseth's book contains the most commonly cited definition:
In ergodic literature, nontrivial effort is required to allow the reader to traverse the text. If ergodic literature is to make sense as a concept, there must also be nonergodic literature, where the effort to traverse the text is trivial, with no extranoematic responsibilities placed on the reader except (for example) eye movement and the periodic or arbitrary turning of pages.
I happen to be a big fan of having no extranoematic responsiblities while reading. I excel at the trivial effort of eye movement while reading, and do a great job of the periodic and arbitrary turning of pages while reading. ( I'm not used to bragging so I'm blushing.)

I hope an occasion arises, sometime soon, for me to throw around the term "Ergodic literature" at my writing group. They'll think I'm just making shit up.



Barr Lake, Colorado

4 comments:

  1. This is hilarious post, as well as educational. It placed enormous extranoematic responsibilities on me and my husband as we could not resist a trivial but powerful urge to roll our eyes and laugh periodically and arbitrarily.
    Only following hyperlinks on the labels with eye movement and reading some more definitions, we settled down... and decided that life is too short and precious to start discovering Ergodic literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, but still must read this formidable tome. 709 pages. I have to admit that the physical appearance of the book gives me pleasure, but will I be able to withstand the assault on my psyche as I read?

      Delete
    2. Courage, my friend! You shall withstand! When life is throwing a 709 page brick-of-a-book on your path to enlightenment, take it as a sign... God knows, it might end up being an egregiously good ergodic read!

      Delete
    3. You're right! Reading isn't for sissies. We live in Boulder County and must follow those cosmic signs no matter how many bullet holes are in them.

      Delete