Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Toasty Day Thinking About Creativity with Amy Tan

The plants outside have been well-watered this morning since they have to get through another day in the 90s.  It's going to cool off into the 80s this weekend, but we have a full slate of work to do at the other house. Manual labor. This labor will be the last big chunk of work before nudging the house into the marketplace.

Thursday is kind of a nowhere day for me. I love having the square on the calendar empty so I can clean up from days past, and prepare for the upcoming weekend. The job list is getting too long around here even though we all work every day. Must be like one of those Sedona energy vortexes, only in reverse...sucking the energy right out through the soles of my feet.

I am trying to do two things at once this morning. Actually three things if you count taking care of E, but taking care of her is just like an extension of caring for myself so I don't usually count it. I have my papers in order enough to do a rewrite on my beach story. Yesterday's rejection by Glimmer Train wasn't what I was hoping for but it does serve to motivate me a little bit. (and why would failure be a good thing? but somehow it is) And the second thing is to clean up the gigantic mess I've made in the parlor. Papers and detritus everywhere. The flotsam of a busy life.

It's already 78 degrees inside the sunroom and it's only 9:00 in the morning. I can usually cool off the house by opening doors and windows early in the day, then closing the blinds and doors to keep the heat out later. Not going to work today. Supposed to hit 98 again. Again. And again.

I was driving quite a bit yesterday so I tried to use my phone to listen to a TED talk by Amy Tan on creativity. I highly recommend this talk for writers and anyone interested in creativity. (should be just about every thinking soul on the planet) She's funny and smart and has some interesting stuff tossed into her talk.

<http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_tan_on_creativity.html>

I don't know if it's okay to put connections to other sites on a blog, but I really don't see why it wouldn't be okay.



Dream Ponies for the Birthday Girl!


2 comments:

  1. I'm about to start listening to Amy Tan's TED. Links to other sites are not only OK -- it's a must if you have something you'd want to share. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy her wisdom and her humor. Thanks for the input!

      Delete