Sunday, December 1, 2013

Roses in December

"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December." J.M. Barrie

As much as I make use of the plethora of foodstuffs available year-round in the most mundane grocery store, I still miss the way the presence of strawberries and asparagus once enhanced any dinner table simply because they were rare, seasonal treats. It's the same with roses. We can now have roses any time at all. They seldom have the heavy aroma of quality cut roses, but now everyone can have the occasional luxury of fresh flowers if they so desire. So, the J.M. Barrie quote is less than apopros, I still enjoy the sentiment.

We've had unusually warm and sunny weather lately. T'aint natural. Still, anything that makes the winter season more bearable is okay by me. Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday, has come and gone. Our family in Seattle didn't join us this year, and this year's festivities never took off without them here to liven things up. I hope I'll have a chance to have a Thanksgiving-in-August next year. It might be fun to barbecue a turkey. We were fortunate to have friends join us; something we should do more often. One thing I'm thankful for, besides my family and friends, is the opportunity to use the word plethora today. It's an awesome word.

I'm reading the new Jack London biography, and interspersing it with The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Both books are good reading, but The Goldfinch is excellent. It's the kind of book that is like a rich dessert. I have to periodically set the book down and savor certain lines because they are so complex, and rich enough to make your teeth hurt.

If I had the opportunity, I would commission an oil painting of red roses to hang on the wall of my dining room. It would have a gold frame. My memory of roses in December could use the jump-start, and it's always a good idea to behold something beautiful every single day of your life. 


A beautiful sunset this evening. Winter isn't all bad. It isn't really bad at all most of the time.
There....I admitted it.



No comments:

Post a Comment