Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Dreary Sky With Perfect Snow

It's another freezing cold day. Snow is falling in a delicate slow descent, and the sky would be unbearably dreary if the tiny flakes weren't so perfect.

The phone rang last night. The caller I.D. showed it was an Ohio number and my heart took a dive. The only person I talk to in Ohio is my old friend who has early-onset Alzheimer's. She hasn't called me in years so my first thought was that her boyfriend was calling because something even worse had happened to her. I was surprised and relieved to hear her voice. She sounded happy and proud of herself for making the call. I couldn't understand her explanation about whatever her father did to "the line" so she could now make a long-distance phone call, but I was thrilled because she sounded so good. She lives in the hills of eastern Ohio by herself. I can't imagine living in the country, facing each day alone, with this horrible disease.

Last January, Kathy had a five hour operation to have the first brain pacemaker ever implanted. She volunteered for the study before the program was even looking for prospective participants. When I look back on our friendship of many years, I can see that she always was brave and independent. I hope she never loses those qualities.


Kathy and Mike canoeing with us in the Boundary Waters




No comments:

Post a Comment