Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Day After July 4th

I've been in need of some unstructured time for myself and finally got the opportunity this weekend. Four whole days off of the routine grid. Hallelujah! I'm visiting my horse every morning, and getting some chores accomplished at home despite the July heat.

I stood at the end of my driveway last night and watched the fireworks being launched at the fairgrounds. It was an abundance of beautiful formations with brilliant colors. The clouds were almost spectral as they crossed the moon above the bursts of fireworks, with the clouds finally clearing and revealing a crescent that was almost a true half. Then I came inside to read before trying to sleep. This is when it became very clear that a major party was happening down the block. The thunderous noise, and intermittent high-pitched whistling, went on until 2 AM.

I finally fell asleep, but dreamed the baby was lying next to me and about to fall off the bed. The cat took it pretty well when I yelled and grabbed her with both hands. She couldn't have been any more shocked than me when I grabbed a furry infant. I quickly woke up and realized my mistake. Anyone who knows my cat will be surprised that the next stop wasn't the medicine cabinet to get bandaids.

#

I succumbed after reading an article about how wonderful a series of books by Karl Ove Knausgaard are. Book 1, My Struggle, arrived late this afternoon. I've read the first several pages, then flipped through it, reading a few pages at random. It is a rare bird that appears to be as wonderful as promised.
Oh happy day.




No comments:

Post a Comment