Monday, November 18, 2013

Life's Transitions

I know several people who are going through difficult transitions right now, and a few who are going through less serious, but life-changing transitions. Different ages and different situations, but all are struggling to get through the process.

At least three are stressed out about employment. Prolonged uncertainty is hard to bear. Finding a new place to live, in a tight market, is a big problem. Having a baby is several kinds of transitions one right after the other. Finding out you have cancer changes who you are just as much as becoming a parent. I have faith that each of these people will get through their problems in their own way, in their own time.

I'm in a transition as I attempt to reconcile how I thought my life would unfold with how it's actually unfolding. In truth, it's not really unfolding (which sounds so delicate), as much as it's a flash flood.
All that mental debris getting carried along, some dangerous boulders of preconceived notions, then (I hope) the desert will bloom. Right?

You have to try to take life's transitions in stride.

 Transition can cause you a little stress, or it can knock you flat. I've been waylaid by different things. All I can suggest is, when this happens, do like I do: don't look around to see if anyone saw what happened (they did),  jump up to your feet, and pretend that the face plant didn't really happen.

Grace under pressure takes a lot of practice but, luckily, life provides plenty of opportunities to stumble.

Transitions are growth. Trust the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment