Sunday, October 19, 2014

Insomnia

The sheets tickle and itch. I'm hot then cold. Giving up all hope of sleeping, I head downstairs. I finished my book around 9:00 or I'd be happy to have some quiet time to read. The house is cold at this time of morning. I hear the cat eating her dry food. She'll probably go back up to bed and leave me to my exhausted yet wide-awake state.

My original plan was to go to the Black Hills with a friend this weekend. The weather has been looking good in the west, and chances to go on a snow-free road trip are about to become scarce. I had reservations at the Custer Mansion in Custer, South Dakota. The reviews were all over the place, with most of the complaints directed at the behavior of one of the owners, Bob. People either loved their stay or hated it. The off-season price was certainly good, and no one complained about the food at this B & B. But, sadly, my friend's mother became extremely ill on Thursday night and is still in the hospital. My own mother fell this week and broke her clavicle. My mother is home, being cared for by family, but my friend's mother is still in the hospital. These worrisome things happen and must be dealt with.

A train is approaching. The horn has a strange echo to it tonight. The cat is sitting at my feet, confused because we're downstairs. I wish it was the kind of world where a person could safely go for a walk alone at night. I used to do that sort of thing when I was 18 and living in Turlock. I lived above a beauty shop in the little downtown area, and enjoyed walking past the closed stores late at night. I was never afraid back then.

Almost 2 AM. The traffic is picking up outside. There are several late-night places on Main Street and it's Saturday night. In the summer, I enjoy hearing voices through our open windows as people walk home after an evening downtown. Not so many walkers now that the temperature is dropping at night.

Looks like I'm not going to be sleeping anytime soon.

life sleep peanuts night Charlie Brown snoopy


No comments:

Post a Comment